![]() |
| C'mon Mom...You can do it! |
I can still remember the excitement
and anticipation my brother and I had the day our dad came home with a
VCR. This magical machine could play
movies that we could watch in the comfort of our own home while munching on a
big bowl of popcorn. Amazing! I was born in 1971 and at the time of my
birth, my home had one small television set and one rotary phone that sat on a
telephone table. I remember my mom’s
younger sister getting a phone with push buttons that attached to the wall and
thinking that it was the coolest thing ever. And don't even get me started about our first cordless phone. How many times did my brother and I test just how far we could roam from the base? Too many to count!
My dad has a Ph.D. in electrical engineering and worked for Bell Labs
at the time. We were actually considered
early-adopters, if you can believe that.
Many of my father’s friends and colleagues helped design the first
computers and cell phones, and because of this, we had access to the knowledge
that these devices were even available.
My uncle, my dad’s brother, called our home in NJ from the George
Washington Bridge one afternoon on one of the first cell phones. We couldn’t believe it, to us it was as far out as the Jetsons. When we got one of the really early Apples, you know the ones with the big floppy disk drives that make a ton of noise and take up a ton of space, our friends came over to stare at it. I remember lively discussions among the adults as they asserted that computers would never make it into their homes, at least not in their lifetime. I would bet money that today, each and every one of them has multiple technological devices on their desk, in their cars and in their pockets/purses.
Fast-forward 10 years to 1981, my sister was born and the world was a
different place. More and more of our
friends had joined us in getting a home computer and there were several in my
sister’s kindergarten classroom. Her
generation would embrace technology in a new way. They would not be afraid of this mysterious machine
but would touch it, play with it and not fear they would break it. Today, my sister is 30 years old and the most
computer savvy person in my circle. She
can run rings around my older relatives with advanced engineering and computer
science degrees. She is not intimidated,
and in my eyes, can figure anything out about a computer in a matter of
minutes. It is very natural to watch her
work with technologies she is familiar with, as well as to get up to speed with
new devices and programs.
As for me, I am definitely intrigued and eager learn a little more each
day about the different technologies available and how I can best use them for
myself personally, with my students and with my own kids. I use my computer, my smart phone and my iPad
almost daily, but I know that I am not close to understanding the potential of
their use. Even still I can’t wait to
justify purchasing a MacBook and an iPhone…my sister tells me that I’ll just
love them both!
I know that I need to embrace, understand and be able to use new
technologies effectively in order to parent my tech-savvy kids (and know what
they’re up to!) and to stay current and competent as a teacher. Still, I cannot tell a lie, it causes me more
than a little anxiety. When I went away to
college, only one girl in my dorm had her own computer. I travelled to the computer lab to type my
papers and didn’t speak to my best friend for a year when she travelled to
Spain because email really didn’t exist for the masses yet. My parents even sent me off with a jar of
change in case I needed to use a pay phone.
In an age of smart phones and
email, of Facebook and Twitter, this seems hard to imagine.
I am truly excited to devote the time to becoming more technologically
savvy. I want to learn what is out there
and how to embrace it. This class and
those willing to patiently help me along the way are crucial to my success. I need the reassurance of someone sitting
next to me, showing me what to do in order to succeed. I hope one day to be able to help someone in
a similar technological position take the leap too!


Mary-Rita, how neat that your family witnessed so many new technologies first-hand....Wow! Great memories for you and your tech-savvy family! I laughed when I read that you related to the Jetsons! I agree that technology is a bit intimidating...it's great that you are willing to learn and grow in knowledge of it all.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteMary-Rita, I remember going over to my grandparents house and playing with their old rotary phone. My brother and I thought it was the coolest thing! I just bought a MacBook Pro and I can't recommend it enough! It is so easy to use and runs so fast. I am pushing my boyfriend to get an IPad for Christmas, we'll see how that goes! :-)
ReplyDelete