Like so many things we are considering in this class, as well as in the greater educational arena, I find my response to this question gravitating toward the middle. I believe that we teach our students in school to critically think, to work with difficult texts, and to express themselves in writing. Often times school provides opportunities for students to single-task and engage fully with a book or topic, topic or activity. Likewise, as technology is integrated into our schools and classrooms, we are teaching our students how to manage multiple things at once. How to research using search engines and incorporating interactive technological tools into what we are teaching does "teach" them how to multi-task.
I also believe that these two skills are "caught" as a matter of living in our culture. In homes where parents keep their children unplugged or are careful to monitor screen-time and access to media, I think there is a greater opportunity for children to learn single-tasking and maintaining focus. It is all so important for parents to realize the impact of what they actually do is on their children. If a parent is trying to encourage their child to maintain critical focus, yet is never off of one of their own screens and is constantly multi-tasking the message is blurred. Children take in all that is around them and will model what they see. It is important for children to see their parents engaged in single-tasking activities such as reading, writing, or completing some project.
All in all, balance, the word we keep coming back to in discussion is the key. Of course our kids are going to multi-task and be part of our digital world, we just need to be careful that we balance this with opportunities to develop their critical attention and ability to focus and single-task.
I also believe that these two skills are "caught" as a matter of living in our culture. In homes where parents keep their children unplugged or are careful to monitor screen-time and access to media, I think there is a greater opportunity for children to learn single-tasking and maintaining focus. It is all so important for parents to realize the impact of what they actually do is on their children. If a parent is trying to encourage their child to maintain critical focus, yet is never off of one of their own screens and is constantly multi-tasking the message is blurred. Children take in all that is around them and will model what they see. It is important for children to see their parents engaged in single-tasking activities such as reading, writing, or completing some project.
All in all, balance, the word we keep coming back to in discussion is the key. Of course our kids are going to multi-task and be part of our digital world, we just need to be careful that we balance this with opportunities to develop their critical attention and ability to focus and single-task.
Mary-Rita, I agree with everything you said! I think that there needs to be a good balance so students can dive into complex texts and successfully read and understand what they are reading. I agree with you that as technology is growing, parents needs to be aware of their surroundings and the influence they have on their children. As much as we can teach it in school, and teach strategies to help them get through the text, it needs to be supported at home. Parents and teachers should work together, or be on the same page to have the right balance, as you said. It is great that they have fun with technology but they need to be taught when to shut it off and focus on their work. I agree that technology is "caught" as well because now children grow up with it and they do not know any different. As technology grows, everyone is "catching" it.
ReplyDelete